LIFE IS A FANTASTIC JOURNEY but at some stage, you hit a block in the road. You know you want to be at a different place on your journey, but the thought of moving forward from point A to point B past the block leaves you confused, daunted and overwhelmed. You may not be aware of what the block is, why it’s there or how to move round it. What is it that’s stopping you from moving forward towards the next goal, to being a better version of you?
I know exactly how you feel. I’ve had my own blocks in my journey to negotiate and overcome, so I understand completely how unfulfilled you can feel by never moving forward, but more importantly, I know how to move past the blocks positively and with passion. Just winging it through life isn’t enough!
Having a clearly defined vision of where we want to be or what we want to achieve is vital in its success. Being able to visualise the end result with all our senses whilst making it very personal to you, will help make it real and easier to strive for. In working towards our goal, we use stepping-stones (you can think of them as mini-goals) which keep us on the right course of action and the number of stepping stones is dependent on the goal. But why do so many of us fail to achieve our goals?
We each have our own blocks that we encounter on our journey; they are as specific to each of us as are the varied reasons we have them. Easier said than done I know, but with positive understanding and support, they can be overcome. Below are my top 10 blocks that I come across:
- Accept responsibility for your life – accept full and unconditional responsibility for your life, choices, actions, and the subsequent consequences (good and bad)
- Fear of failure – failure is part of the learning journey and remember success is NOT measured in failing, success is measured in persevering
- Fear of criticism – Fear of what others might say or think can stop us in our tracks. Understandably they may wish to protect you from failure. Remember, they are not travelling your journey so keep setting goals that drive you forward
- Not knowing what our own core values are – any goals we try to set which are not in-line with our values, will not work
- Not acknowledging our strengths – It’s important to know and accept our strengths and how we can utilise those in achieving our goals
- Not asking for help – this is a BIG one! We need to get passed the idea it is a sign of weakness…it’s only ever a sign of strength and commitment to improving yourself
- Self-limiting beliefs – Allowing these to dominate our thinking and reasoning will stall your forward progression. Really challenge yourself on the a) why do I think that b) where did that originate c) what do I believe will happen and d) the positives that COULD happen if you allow them
- Listening to our negative inner critic / negative self-talk – our inner chatterbox can be a noisy negative ninny. Develop ways that work for you to flip that self-talk into a positive pick me-up
- Unrealistic goals – Remember the SMART goals in last month’s newsletter and use these with each goal
- Unrealistic expectations – Setting and managing the expectations of ourselves and of others is an important action
Any of these blocks sound/feel familiar? They are indeed a challenge, but ones that with proper understanding, self-reflection and self-investigation, are merely small speed bumps on your journey forward. So take the STOP sign down, the road is clear and the rest of your journey awaits.
Please feel free to contact me for a chat about the blocks you may be experiencing in your life and how we can turn them into minor speed bumps.